RSS

Why I jumped on the Facebook advertising bandwagon

 

fbads

With over a billion people liking millions of pages on Facebook, it was only a matter of time before the Facebook newsfeed would start getting overwhelmed. Surely with the amount of content we “like” now, it’s not possible to show snippets from all of those sources in our newsfeed.  Facebook also acknowledges this and as a matter of fact, is continuously going to work on making newsfeed content more relevant. So what does that mean for the online marketer? Well, it means you’ve gotta come up with some great contextual content, content that will be shared organically, to stay on your fans’ newsfeed. While this is possible, it’s not going to be easy to do. Quoting Facebook from their paper titled Generating Business Results on Facebook:

“People are connecting to more Pages and individuals every day. And each day, more brands and organizations are posting on Facebook. As a result, we expect organic distribution of an individual Page’s posts to gradually decline over time as we continually work to make sure people have a meaningful experience on the site. Your post has a better chance of appearing organically to your fans and their friends if it’s relevant to them and if their friends interact with it …”

Facebook goes on to suggest that in order to proliferate our content on the newsfeeds of the billions, paid content distribution (Facebook advertising) is a better strategy. Initially I was skeptical about this because clearly it seems like a moneymaking strategy more than anything else. While it could be that, it also seems to work. Viewing the performance of our sponsored Facebook campaigns and learning about the performance of others’ FB campaigns through my peers in the industry, it’s clear that advertising helps you in getting the engagement you want with the right kind of people in the correct social context.

Now while I can’t really be called a proponent of spending insane amounts on advertising, I am in favor of incorporating result-oriented elements in one’s digital strategy. And currently FB advertising is doing just that; at least for now. But don’t take my word for it. Try it out. For your next campaign if you were going to spend X dollars on a custom app geared to deliver increased engagement, consider advertising as an important part of your strategy. Make a simple app with 30% of the investment and then spend the other 70% on advertising. Check how your campaign performs. If the results impress, then there’s a seat free right next to me on the Facebook advertising bandwagon.

 

 
 
Follow Me!
Google Plus
Facebook
Linked IN
Twitter
  1. Let me know what you want to talk about and i'll get back to you
Categories